The Alabama Council on Economic Education

The Alabama Council on Economic Education
Click the tree to visit the website, or enter your email address below to follow by email!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

I have learned not to be afraid to admit when I am jealous. And I am.

This year Alabama's students have a chance in competing in the first-ever Personal Finance Challenge.  The Challenge is a learning tool to teach students the importance of  income, money management, spending, credit, saving and investing.  Here's the deal.  I am just as excited as the next guy about the new program for Alabama's students but I just can't help but say "Where was this stuff when I was in school?!"  Is it bad that I am jealous of these students?  I am not ashamed to say it, that is just how it is.  The Personal Finance is the bright and shiny new program being debuted by the ingenious Alabama Council on Economic Education.  They have, in my opinion, integrated teaching lessons about what has the potential to be boring into the classroom seamlessly time and time again.  So now the Personal Finance Challenge comes along, teaching kids the importance of all of the life lessons that my generation had to learn by being overdrawn time and time again.  Oh, don't act like you haven't done it too.  I wish I had been given this opportunity.  And my second wish is that if I had been given it I would have paid attention.  I will omit my third wish.  So to get the ball rolling, the ACEE enlisted the best celebrity politician they could have.  Young Boozer, the State Treasurer has personally endorsed the program.  What a good idea, taking such a vital part of financial knowledge and making it fun.  The winners of the state competition will advance to a national level.  I read up on the freshly elected Boozer and was quite impressed.  He is entirely qualified to be the Treasurer.  He has quite the resume.  So anyway I am stoked that Alabama's students are competing in an innovative competition, and also a little jealous.  So now is the part where we take action into the streets.  Let's support this thing!  Tell your local schools that you want The Personal Finance Challenge in your schools.  I mean, this is a total no-brainer.  With our education statistics where they are we need programs like this.  We want to be proactive in our kid's future.  Being reactive is what got us where we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment